The Sony PMW-F5 is a camera engineered with cinematographers needs in mind for today and tomorrow, with planned firmware updates with more frame rates, more operating features and more recording options in the months and years to come. The 4K CMOS imaging sensor in the PMW-F5 features 8.9 megapixels (effective) and records super-sampled HD and 2K while preparing you for the 4K future.
The new Sony DSP gives you many recording options. The camera records to SXS cards internally at 50 Mbps 4:2:2 8-bit, records to the Sony HDCAM SR (SStP) format at 220 Mbps 4:2:2, with plans for 440 Mbps 4:4:4 compression coming sometimes after release. Additionally, the camera can record to the new XAVC codec, which offers intra-frame 100Mbps 4:2:2 10-bit performance. The F5 can record internally up to 60fps in XAVC HD or 2K, and up to 120fps with the planned update.
Sony has simplified the interface and made the menus no more than three layers deep. The operator’s side has an LCD screen, which displays the basic camera settings including frame rate, shutter speed, color temperature, ISO sensitivity and gamma. On the side of the camera you’ll also find assignable buttons, and a large jog wheel for moving though the menus.
- 8.9MP Super 35mm CMOS Image Sensor
- Base ISO of 2000
- Internal 2K/HD Recording, records to SxS Pro+ Media Cards
- Optional 4K/2K RAW Recorder
- Highly Modular Design – optional shoulder rig available
- Native FZ-Mount and PL-Mount Adapter (included)
- Built-in ND filters
- Uses External Sony Viewfinders
- Works with Sony’s BP-FL75 battery pack – Lithium Iron Phosphate – and other battery systems.